Thursday, December 2, 2010

Using Leftover Turkey: Day 1 - The Cats

My first use of the turkey requires no actual work. How is that possible you ask? Well because I fed turkey to the cats.
Aren't they cute? This is actually a pretty old picture. Jack Bauer (the black and white one) was little and cute then, he's still cute but FAR from small.
Within the last year or so I noticed that the cats would vomit pretty much whenever they ate. We switched cat food and nothing changed, the vet said they were fine so we assume that just had a hairball problem. We got all the special hairball treatments, nothing helped so finally we just accepted this was our life. Well about two weeks ago we ran out of cat food and I didn't feel like going to the store (lazy, I know) so I gave them shredded chicken. They loved it but even better no vomiting. I continued feeding them either chicken, turkey or tuna for about 10 days, eventually I went to the store and bought a small bag of food. Within 5 minutes of pouring the food in their bowl the vomiting began. Now at this point I have to conclude, even though this wasn't an official experiment, that something in cat food is making them sick. I know that I can't deal with preservatives and artificial ingredients so maybe they can't either. 

I'm sure there are some people who would say that I shouldn't feed my cats straight meat but cats are carnivores. They don't need vegetables and fruit, if you tried to feed a cat whole, unprocessed fruit and vegetables they won't eat them. At one point I considered feeding my cats Blue Buffalo cat food but even they have other ingredients besides meat AND it's really expensive. In my area, a 2.5 lb bag is $10, do you know how much meat I could buy them for $10?

I've haven't gotten to a point where I feed them raw meat yet. As of right now I still cook it but eventually we're moving to the raw. 

Until next time,
Kellan

No comments:

Post a Comment