Friday, November 12, 2010

The Chicken Experiment - Midweek Update

This past Sunday I decided to try an experiment this week, that is supposed to be the purpose of this blog. I bought two whole chickens (I did cheat a little because they were cut up but it was cheaper than buying them uncut) and wanted to see 1) how many things I could make and 2) how many days we could eat off those two chicken. It's currently Friday and we still have the meat from one chicken that hasn't been touched yet, these are the preparations I've come up with so far:

Chicken Stock
When I got home from the store the first thing I did was make stock and I did this for two reasons. The first of which being that Kitchen Basics stock, although delicious, is expensive and since the purpose of this experiment is to maximize use of the chicken I had to make the stock. The second reason is that I wanted the chicken to already be cooked because I hate having raw chicken around and I thought it would make cooking easier for the rest of this experiment. 

Making stock is actually quite easy. You need chicken, an onion, some celery and carrots. As stated before, I did cheat a little, the chicken was already cut up so I didn't have to bother with that AND I bought baby carrots in a bag from the store. I usually don't by bagged produce but it was on sale for $1 and I couldn't pass that up. I don't have one of those super big stock pots, so I put one chicken in a 5 qt. enameled cast iron dutch oven and the other in my 6 qt crockpot. Throw everything in the cooking vessel of your choosing, cover with water, put the lids on and walk away. 

The chicken that I cooked on the stove was done in about 3 or 4 hours over medium-low heat. The chicken I cooked in  the crockpot on low was done in about 12 hrs. In all honesty the crockpot stock was probably done WAY before 12 hrs but after I finished with the stove batch I went to sleep, the extra time doesn't hurt anything. Strain the liquid away from the solids and pick all the chicken off the bones and VIOLA you have stock. I've read that some people like to leave the veggies and blend it together.............I'm not that kind of girl. I think stock should be clear. *shrugg*

Chicken Salad
I LOVE CHICKEN SALAD, my grandmother makes it all the time and it's always delicious. I don't know why chicken salad is so tasty but it is. Chicken salad is stupidly easy to make, it's chicken, mayo, relish and mustard. People add other things, my grandmother usually adds onions and celery but Dj doesn't like the texture difference so I leave them out. I've heard of people adding craisins and/or grapes......too adventurous for me. 

Chicken Pot Pie
Another super easy chicken dish. Pot pie requires: 
half a large onion
2 potatoes
carrots
2 stalks of celery
4 cups of the stock
4 tbsp cornstarch
1 sheet of puff pastry 
half a chicken worth of picked chicken. 

Cut up the veggies, saute them for a little while and add the stock, reserve about 1/2 cup of stock. 
Add the chicken and simmer for about 10 minutes
Thoroughly mix the reserved stock with the cornstarch and pour into pot with other ingredients
Pour everything in an casserole dish and top with puff pastry. (I usually make designs with the puff pastry but you can just lay the sheet on top if you want)
Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  

We ate this pot pie for 3 days and I didn't make one that was very big. I still have to figure out tonight and the next few days. I'm open to suggestions. 

Until next time, 
Kellan

2 comments:

  1. The chicken pot pie sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try that one. For another recipe with cooked chicken, you could try baked chimichangas--shred the chicken, add refried or cooked pinto beans, salsa, and shredded cheese, wrap in warmed tortillas and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Or how about chicken and stuffing casserole? Boil cut up carrots, celery, onions and your choice of seasonings in 2 cups of stock, mix together a can of cream of chicken soup and 2 eggs and stir into stock, pour into a bowl with bread cubes (1 loaf worth), add cubed chicken, transfer to a casserole dish and bake at 350 for an hour. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wow, I never even thought of those. I'm going to have to come up with a substitution for the cream of chicken soup (I can't eat most canned foods) but I'll definitely give those a try. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete