Monday, January 25, 2010

Homemade Yogurt: Greek and Whipped

I'm still unpacking so I don't want to take too many pics of my house right now......it's a little depressing but since one of the first things I unpacked was my slow cooker I've been using it a lot.

I found the technique for making yogurt in the slow cooker from Crockpot 365 and tried it out last weekend it worked out pretty well. I'm not going to repost what Stephanie already wrote because that would be redundant, but here are some small variations that I made.

Variation #1: Greek Yogurt

I LOVE Greek yogurt so I thought I would make some at home. I followed Stephanie's Crockpot Yogurt Recipe and after the incubation period I poured my yogurt into a colander lined with cheese cloth.
I put the whole thing in the refrigerator overnight. (This picture if from my batch I'm working on now. I used a whole gallon of milk and an hour ago the colander was filled to the brim.) Occasionally it's necessary to pour out the liquid that's accumulated in the bowl. You could keep it if you wish. I don't, I haven't thought of anything to use it for yet.

Once you've gained maximum thickness (I'll post pics tomorrow) you can then do whatever you want with your yogurt. I pureed a pint of strawberries and a little honey with my immersion blender and then blended the yogurt and the fruit together. This is what it looked like 10 days later:
No artificial flavors, coloring or preservatives. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!

Variation 2: Whipped Yogurt Not Working Out Like I Planned

I doing this tomorrow but basically the plan is to take my plain Greek yogurt and whip it in my KitchenAid. I haven't actually tried this yet, so this is all theoritical right now. I'll let you know how things go over tomorrow (fail or succeed). My goal is something similar to Yoplait Whips yogurt. I'm also in the process of looking for a orange creme flavoring recipe. That's the flavor Dj really likes so I'm trying to make it (no success thus far but maybe soon).

Update 3/10/2010: To date I still haven't gotten the whipped yogurt to work out. I'm still working on it but hopefully I'll figure something out soon.



Until next time...........
KAC

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I was just looking through your blog (redirected from the green grocery bag challenge to your reversible bag tutorial, very nice!) and I wanted to make a suggestion for your whipped yogurt - I haven't tried this myself, but I know that on my low-fat and no-fat yogurt, the mfr. adds gelatin for a better consistency. So maybe a packet of Knox would add some protein and help maintain that whipped consistency?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,

    I've tried it with gelatin, it didn't work out. It did make the yogurt thicker but it didn't have that whipped texture. I've given up on the whipped idea for a little while.

    ReplyDelete