Sunday, March 27, 2011

Best Pancakes Ever......(and they're whole wheat)


Pancakes and I have a long relationship, they are my favorite food AND the first thing that I ever learned to cook. My love with cooking from scratch actually started with pancakes (I was a strange 10 year old). I've gone through several recipe variations over the years but I finally created the perfect recipe.

When I make these for people I don't tell them that they're whole wheat. If I did, most people I know wouldn't eat them. They assume that whole wheat pancakes are going to be heavy, gritty and gross. (I've had a few bad batches) These whole wheat pancakes, however, are light, fluffy AND super delicious. So make a batch and don't tell anybody they're whole wheat until after they've finished eating them.

Note: I honestly forgot to take pictures, but I think I'm going to make pancakes for dinner tomorrow, in which case I try to remember to snap a few shots and upload them. (Don't judge me)

BEST PANCAKE RECIPE EVER

13.5 oz soft wheat (if you don't mill your own flour then you need whole wheat pastry flour)
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
vanilla extract
cinnamon

Q: Kellan, do I really need to use soft wheat or whole wheat pastry flour for this recipe?
A: Yes. If you make this with hard wheat or regular whole wheat flour your pancakes won't turn out right. I accidentally used hard wheat recently, my pancakes were horrible. 

The great thing about this recipe is that there aren't any special instructions for mixing this up recipe. Pancakes should be simple. Put everything in a bowl (except the vanilla and cinnamon) and mix it together. It doesn't need to be thoroughly mixed either, lumps are ok. Just make sure everything is combined and then let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. After 15 minutes everything will be properly hydrated and the lumps will be gone (I promise).

The secret to this recipe is that I don't measure the vanilla and cinnamon. I put in what I feel to be enough. If I were to guess I would assume that it's about 1.5 to 2 tbsp of vanilla and 2 tsp of cinnamon but I honestly don't know. Put as much feels right to you. 

I use a regular ladle to measure out my pancakes, this recipe usually yields about 12 plate-sized pancakes. I come from a family with pretty large men, my dad is 6'5", and I haven't met anyone yet that can eat more than 3 of these pancakes; not even my 19 year old brother. As you can see the pancake the size of the entire bottom of the pan.
This is the nutritional information per, my extra large, pancake:

  Calories210.1
  Total Fat7.6 g
     Saturated Fat4.1 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.5 g
     Monounsaturated Fat2.2 g
  Cholesterol63.2 mg
  Sodium435.9 mg
  Potassium111.9 mg
  Total Carbohydrate29.9 g
     Dietary Fiber3.7 g
     Sugars7.6 g
  Protein8.0 g
  Vitamin A6.0 %
  Vitamin B-124.4 %
  Vitamin B-62.1 %
  Vitamin C1.1 %
  Vitamin D3.5 %
  Vitamin E0.7 %
  Calcium15.7 %
  Copper0.4 %
  Folate2.3 %
  Iron1.9 %
  Magnesium1.8 %
  Manganese0.1 %
  Niacin0.2 %
  Pantothenic Acid    1.8 %
  Phosphorus    10.6 %
  Riboflavin8.2 %
  Selenium1.9 %
  Thiamin1.4 %
  Zinc2.7 %


This recipe also keeps really well so you can mix it up, make some pancakes and but the rest of the batter in the refrigerator to use later. Happy pancake eating. 

Until next time, 
Kellan

No comments:

Post a Comment